Friday, August 5, 2011

Bangladesh

My back and neck were in so much pain after the motorcycle ride. I could barely move. I was thankful the day’s trip out into the field was far enough to use a car. This place is so peaceful. The lush beauty of the rice patties are picturesque. We went to a few Thursday meeting in field offices where female distributors were reporting their findings to the team leader. The multitude of hierarchy keeps everyone organized and accountable.

When introducing me, Dr. Hasmot explained I was from New York. From office to office all the women shook their heads solemnly and said “bangalibengalibengaliOSAMA BIN LADIN bengali.”

Cows would occasionally stick their heads into the windows during the meeting and moo very loudly. No one skipped a beat.

Social Economic Status (SES) is determined here by what their house is built from. The highest SES is brick, than tin, bamboo and lowest being straw.

On the weekends all the staff head up to Rangpur because it is where most of them live. Bulbul and I follow and stay at the Rangpur Jiva guest house. The guest house is similar to our faculty house with a few added perks: A guest lounge with over 5,000 dvds (I plan to borrow some) and a treadmill, multiple beautiful porches and many more conference rooms. Bryan, a graduate student from Baltimore, lives here full time working in Rangpur.

Tomorrow I hope to go to the Joo (how they pronounce Zoo) or the market.

Asalam Walaikum,

Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment